Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Interview with Megan Hickey of The Last Town Chorus

Tonight is the first night of WFPK's weekly free summer concert series. To kick this years series off Brooklyn natives The Last Town Chorus will be performing. The show starts right after work at 5pm on the Waterfront and admission is free.

Listen:

The Last Town Chorus - Modern Love

We were lucky enough to have a chance to ask Megan a few questions, enjoy...

37 Flood - You will be visiting Louisville during the best time of year to be here (Kentucky Derby Festival). Will this be your first trip to Louisville? If not, have you ever had the chance to make it to the Kentucky Derby?

Megan - I spent 24 lovely hours in Louisville earlier this year (we visited WFPK and played a show). You guys are insanely lucky to have that radio station, and Ear X-Tacy Records. I always look out for independent record stores on tour and there sure aren't a lot of them left. I'd love to do the Derby someday. I mean, not run in it -- just watch.

37 Flood
- Do you miss NYC while traveling or do you enjoy seeing new places?

Megan
- I love New York. Almost as much as I love getting the he*l out of there on a regular basis. I need frequent doses wide open spaces and places that are laid out on a smaller scale. Like Louisville. Wonder if I can fit in some Derby time when we're in town for the waterfront show...

37 Flood - Sometimes I feel like I am the only person on the planet who doesn't watch Grey's Anatomy. So I completely missed your cover of David Bowies "Modern Love" when it was featured in its entirety during an episode. Tell me why or why not I should give in and start watching the show.

Megan - I suggest that you experiment and decide for yourself -- go to YouTube and watch the segment that featured our song... Search by: last town chorus grey's anatomy. (or watch the clip on www.TheLastTownChorus.com). Maybe those few minutes will get you hooked. On Grey's Anatomy, I mean.

37 Flood - After your song was featured on the show I'm sure you saw a huge spike in your popularity. Besides having more friends on MySpace how has this affected you?

Megan - Yes, gobs of people really responded to the Grey's Anatomy airing. I also loved seeing my music adapted so artfully for the sequence...it was quite cinematic.

37 Flood - It seems you have a very loyal following in the UK. I notice this with a lot of american bands who haven't seen the same kind of success yet in the states. Do you have any ideas as to why this is the case?

Megan - The whole geographical area of UK fits into the state of Texas. It has a lot of national media, like BBC. So it's just more penetrable. They also seem to have a particular taste for unique strains of American music.

37 Flood - If someone has never heard your music how do you describe it to them?

Megan - I don't, because I can't. I tell them where they can hear it if they wish.

37 Flood - How did you develop your unique sound? What or who Influenced you?

Megan - I've consumed and filtered mountains of music over many years...most of my influence is by osmosis, methinks.

37 Flood - Your new album "Wire Waltz" was given 4 stars by Spin magazine. After putting so much effort into it by recording and producing it yourself. Does a review like this give you some sort of validation for all your hard work? Or does it matter to you at all?

Megan - I used to collect SPIN magazines in the early 80s, especially if Culture Club was in it. So it was a geeky thrill to see my bad haircut and living room in its pages. But generally speaking I view music press as a vital bridge to peoples' ears and hearts. That said, thank you very much for taking the time to talk with me. Best wishes.
-----------

No comments: