Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Review: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart in Bloomington 4/29

Last night I took a field trip with some friends to see Twin Shadow and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart in Bloomington. The majority of the trip consisted of cupcakes and chatting, as we drove into Bloomington we witnessed some interesting sites, a real live camel (my favorite animal) and 30 goats on a hill; I felt these were signs that the night would be interesting…I was right. We got to the venue (Rhino’s) and find out it is all ages, which means two things: no alcohol, and 12 year old children; both of which we were not prepared for.
 The first band went on at about 9pm they were a local band called Weakness; the music was over processed punk with the vocals turned all the way up. If they stick with it they definitely have potential to be a good band. The lead singer was jumping around like Iggy Pop, which could be awesome but they were no Stooges. Next was our main event Twin Shadow who put on a fantastic show, it was energetic and the crowd really enjoyed it. They played some of our favorites including "At My Heels" and "Forget", George Lewis seemed to really enjoy playing, hopefully they will stop in Louisville soon. After a short break between sets, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart took the stage to finish the night. I was pretty excited to see these guys, their newest album Belong came out in March of this year, and I loved it. If you haven’t checked them out go for it don’t let the name scare you, they make some great pop music.
Remembering that this is an all ages venue,  my friends and I are surrounded by young kids who happen to be some of the more entertaining dancers I have seen in my life, naturally we can’t help but laugh a little when they nearly knock us out with their flying elbows. Looking back it was cute, we have all been there right? It ended up being a memorable night for everyone. I’m glad I ventured into the world of the north for the show, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart and Twin Shadow are amazing bands, and I hope next time they make a stop in Louisville.
Twin Shadow
Twin Shadow


The Pains of Being Pure at Heart "Belong" LP

No comments: